 Trains / 29840
  LEGO 7996 and 9V

Hi, I was just wondering - has anyone yet considered whether there might be a way to "9voltify" the LEGO 7996 set (switched rail crossing)? I mean, there we do have a very useful piece of track, however it is only usable for RC trains so far. What (...) (16 years ago, 31-Dec-07, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO 7996 and 9V

(...) There was some discussion about this a few months ago: (URL) I haven't tried it yet myself though, so I can't vouch for how well it works. -Elroy (16 years ago, 31-Dec-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: LEGO 7996 and 9V

Jeffrey- Of course, there's the "easy" way: Simply use two motors, linked by a wire, and separated by enough distance to cover the non-conductive gap caused by using a 7996. We have tried this and it works fine (and also improves operation (...) (16 years ago, 10-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO 7996 and 9V

(...) Ted: That's a great idea! Do you any pictures of your setup and how you routed the wire between the motors? This sounds like something I would love to try. Thanks for the tip. -Dave (16 years ago, 10-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO 7996 and 9V

(...) Myself and others have used copper foil (2 URLs) I converted a 7996 just before Christmas, and installed it in my elevated train layout. So far it's run flawlessly for different trains for over 20 hours of run time. I used pre-tinned (...) (16 years ago, 10-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO 7996 and 9V

(...) Running wires between cars is probably not as tough as getting the lead from the motor to the car or engine. Although LEGO made a train headlamp kit, the wire coming off the motor connector tended to get in the way, especially on turns. We (...) (16 years ago, 11-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: LEGO 7996 and 9V

(...) I wish that I had read this a few months ago (when I should have). I just bought a 7996 with the intention to convert it to 9V. I am very disapointed that you can not have both of the parallel straights switched to go straight at the same (...) (16 years ago, 8-Mar-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO 7996 and 9V

(...) splitting the controls for the doubble crossover can be done in a couple of ways. as soon as i get my hands on a set i will write up some instructions for everyone. as for selenoids there really is no need. automating 9v/rc switches is fairly (...) (16 years ago, 9-Mar-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO 7996 Crossover Motorized and Ballasted - Pictures

(...) I have altered the crossover controls to provide for an all-straight state by tweaking the springs in the switching rails. I have also motorized the crossover in such a way that it can be set straight, TL-BR or BL-TR with two switches (both (...) (16 years ago, 7-Jul-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.parts.mod)

  Re: LEGO 7996 Crossover Motorized and Ballasted - Pictures

(...) Mark: Nice work! This solution looks really trick. Another great use for the pneumatic system. I wish this stuff was still being produced (although I'm interested to see how the rams work on the new excavator set). I also like you ballast (...) (16 years ago, 8-Jul-08, to lugnet.trains)