 Trains / 29556
Re: 7996 Metalized
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 21:26:38 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ludo Soete wrote:
Hi,

Just uploaded 2 pictures of the new 7996 RC point witch is covered with self
adhesive tinned copper. The self adhesive copper is used in the electronic
bussines to close gaps in racks or PC cases to prevent EMC radiation.

<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ludo-soete/Train-Cars/7996_1_metal.jpg>

<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ludo-soete/Train-Cars/7996_2_metal.jpg>

Now waiting for the next upcomming clubday to test the life time of this
copper tape.

Regards,

Ludo

Hi all,

here some more info:

There's no secret in it.
It's just an prototype of the 7996 point with adhesive copper tape that i
tinned / soldered with a solder iron using solder 60/40, witch means 60% lead
and 40% tin.
The used copper tape (i think its from 3M - SCOTCH) is something thats used
in the electronic industrie to close gaps on a metal case to prevent EMI
radiation.
You can see EMI as a high frequency pollution that every PC generates (and
other microcomputers / microcontrollers, ...).

The choise of this copper tape was verry easy made, because we use it in our
company, its thin and can be verry easy bend or cut, and you can solder it.
Thats nessesarry, because you need to electrically connect the different
track pieces.
I remark that Dave Sterling found what i used, with only this difference that
the tape i used wasn't pre-tinned, i got to do it myself.
So this took also some time, but if you can start from pre-tinned tape, it can
be done in one day.

Mention also that i taped first the 2 point pieces, then drilled small holes to
pass the wire and soldered then the wires to connect the different track pieces.
Then i realised that it's not nessesarry to tape both pieces seperate, because
once you soldered the wires, you can't separate both pieces anymore!
So you can tape the outher left and right straight rail in one piece, and place
some grey plates to prevent them from separating.

I thought first to use thin metal as from canned softdrinks like Cola,
Sprite,...
BUT, there are no more holes in the RC track, as there are in the 9V track
to wrap the metal conductor around the rail and fix it that way.

I did a few runs with a train and 9V motor, but not enough to check how long
the tinned coppertape will last before its worn out from the friction of the
wheels when the train goes from one side to the other side. I also don't know
how long the adhesive will hold on the plastic rails.

As you can read, there are still some open questions, and no garranty that
it will work for a long time.
If it doesn't last long enough, perhaps i will try the thin metal from
canned softdinks because thats harder than copper, look alike with the 9V
track, bend and cut easy, and you can solder it too (attention : can be
verry sharp! - not for children!).

I hope to use it on our upcomming club day in Novenber and see what's it
worth.

Regards,
Ludo