 Trains / 29563
Re: 7996 Metalized
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 12:33:36 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tommy Armstrong wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Ludo Soete wrote:
   Hi,

Just uploaded 2 pictures of the new 7996 RC point witch is covered with self adhesive tinned copper. The self adhesive copper is used in the electronic bussines to close gaps in racks or PC cases to prevent EMC radiation.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ludo-soete/Train-Cars/7996_1_metal.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ludo-soete/Train-Cars/7996_2_metal.jpg

Now waiting for the next upcomming clubday to test the life time of this copper tape.

Regards,

Ludo

Now that is what I call “out of the box” thinking.

Tommy Armstrong

I covered my 7996 with copper foil tape that I found at Hobby Lobby in their stained glass section. They offer several different widths, all about $5 a roll (which is about 30m of the tape - plenty to do 7996. I was concerned about tinning the copper because I thought that the soldering iron might melt things, but it sounds like that is not going to be an issue, from Ludo’s findings.

The copper tape for stained glass work does very well and conforms to surfaces especially well. I used the side of a pen as a burnishing tool to smooth out the surface of the tape after application. I found that the foiling process took quite a few hours. But for foiling a simpler track geometry, like a straight track, it would be pretty quick - 15 minutes or so.

Ludo - why did you use 60/40 lead solder specifically? Would lead-free solder work as well? (aside from being more expensive) Naturally I’d like to follow that approach if possible since LEGO bricks and children often come into contact.

-Jordan