 Trains / 29577
Re: 7996 Metalized
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2007 16:58:25 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jordan Schwarz wrote:

The copper tape for stained glass work does very well and conforms to surfaces especially well. I used the side of a pen as a burnishing tool to smooth out the surface of the tape after application. I found that the foiling process took quite a few hours. But for foiling a simpler track geometry, like a straight track, it would be pretty quick - 15 minutes or so.

I went to a local stained glass studio and picked up a roll of Venture Tape Silvered Copper Foil last night. The widest the shop had was 1/4” so that is what I got. The tape is availible in other widths, and if they had the 3/8” wide, I would have gotten that. I paid $16 for a 33 yard roll. The tape is 1.5 mils thick. You can get it online for less not counting shipping, but I could not wait.

I did one peice of RC straight track. It was easy to put on and looks pretty good. A made a small loop with that peice and regular track. It conducted the ppwer well - both to the moter and to the track on eithe side. I ran a train for abou two hours and did not see any noticable wear. The true test will be a weekend train show.

I will try to post some pics this weekend.

Bob