 Trains / 29549
  7996 Metalized

Hi, Just uploaded 2 pictures of the new 7996 RC point witch is covered with self adhesive tinned copper. The self adhesive copper is used in the electronic bussines to close gaps in racks or PC cases to prevent EMC radiation. (2 URLs) Now waiting (...) (17 years ago, 3-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX) !

  Re: 7996 Metalized

(...) Wow, looks very impressive, and quite professional. Was it a lot of work? Where there particulary difficulties? With friendly greetings, Manfred. (17 years ago, 3-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 7996 Metalized

(...) This is just plain cool! Can you provide any link to where you bought the copper tape? Have you tested the points yet? Other than durability of the tape (which you'll be testing later), how does it work from an electrical standpoint? Same as (...) (17 years ago, 3-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 7996 Metalized

(...) Looks good! Where did you get the material? (17 years ago, 3-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 7996 Metalized

(...) Actually...this stuff from 3M looks promising. (URL) EMI 1183 Tin-Coated Tape> -Dave (17 years ago, 3-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 7996 Metalized

(...) Hi all, here some more info: There's no secret in it. It's just an prototype of the 7996 point with adhesive copper tape that i tinned / soldered with a solder iron using solder 60/40, witch means 60% lead and 40% tin. The used copper tape (i (...) (17 years ago, 3-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 7996 Metalized

(...) Now that is what I call "out of the box" thinking. Tommy Armstrong (17 years ago, 4-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 7996 Metalized

(...) I covered my 7996 with copper foil tape that I found at Hobby Lobby in their stained glass section. They offer several different widths, all about $5 a roll (which is about 30m of the tape - plenty to do 7996. I was concerned about tinning the (...) (17 years ago, 4-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 7996 Metalized

(...) Why shoudn't this work? Lead-free solder needs a higher soldering iron temperture, keep this in mind, but it can be used. Why i did use the 60/40 lead solder is that i don't have lead-free solder at home yet. Its intention was also to figure (...) (17 years ago, 4-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 7996 Metalized

Does anyone have a picture or so of the internals of points? I need to but the switch part of all four points to "turning" since I want to use memory wire on it. (17 years ago, 5-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 7996 Metalized

(...) I went to a local stained glass studio and picked up a roll of Venture Tape Silvered Copper Foil last night. The widest the shop had was 1/4" so that is what I got. The tape is availible in other widths, and if they had the 3/8" wide, I would (...) (17 years ago, 5-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 7996 Metalized

(...) Hi Johan, What exactly do you mean with " the internals of points"? If you mean the inner side of a point when you dismount the bottom plate, then i can help you, but only from a 9V point (2859), not from the 7996 point. Perhaps i can place (...) (17 years ago, 5-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 7996 Metalized

(...) I ran a similar experiment using 4.5v track, and repeated it with some of the RC track. (URL) I built a oval of track with half being new 9v track and the other foil covered RC track. I cleaned the track with a bit of rubbing alcohol. I ran a (...) (17 years ago, 8-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 7996 Metalized

For some reason it did not post my reply yesterday. I want to automate the points. I use the spring to let the tongue of the point return to its normal state and when I wind a nylon thread or so around a axle it will put the direction for the train (...) (17 years ago, 12-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains)