 Trains / 29616
29615  |  29617
Subject:
Rutland Alco RS-3 #205
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 03:47:02 GMT

After working out how to build the Rutland boxcar, I decided to work on one of the Rutland’s diesel locomotives to pull it. An RS-3 looked like a nice challenge, and Rutland owned a few of them.

I tried to capture the most distinctive characteristics of an RS3. Mainly, the curved body, and the blocky trucks. The front truck of this model is brick built, and the motor is brick decorated. The trucks are a bit fragile, and I haven’t had a chance to run my rainbow-colored test model on a track yet, so I don’t know how much run time I’ll get out of them.

The windows needed a built solution as well. My original model used 1x2x2 windows, but I found that they don’t come in green, so the cab had to be rebuilt.

A prototype photo is at http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2007051000383328843.jpg for comparison.

-Elroy