 Trains / 29594
Re: Rutland Boxcar #104
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 00:51:52 GMT

James J. Trobaugh wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi wrote:
Elroy Davis wrote:
One of the positive sides of all the recent talk of 9v trains is that it got me
building again.  I don't usually post renders, but I liked the way this one
turned out, and I don't (yet) have the pieces to build it.

Here is my version of Rutland Railroad's boxcar #104:

<<http://www.nelug.org/mediagallery/mediaobjects/disp/7/7_rutlandboxcar.jpg>>

Prototype information is <http://users.rcn.com/jimdu4/PS1.htm here>.  Reading
through that page, there is some debate about the color of the roof on the
original cars.  I went with yellow since that's what most of the eyewitnesses
claim to remember.

Sadly, the Rutland died back in the 1960's, but the bright green and yellow
boxcars make excellent models.  The door is based on Chris Masi's excellent
opening door design, which has become my default for boxcars.  Sticker .dat's
were generated using Scott Wardlaw's sticker generator, and the trucks are those
that were featured in the first issue of RailBricks.

-Elroy
Great boxcar Elroy, and thanks for the nod... but if we spreading credit
around, then I should let you know that the slide is based on a
suggestion by James Mathis. On the other hand, you deserve all the
credit for coming up with a great model. I can't wait to see it on the
layout.

What is the "opening door design"? Are there some examples of the method being
use? I did a search on LUGNET and came up empty.

jt

Hey james,

   I just used some 1x1-stud-on-side bricks and some 1x2x1 panels or
1x2x2 brackets to hold the doors in place. I put a couple of mpd's up here

http://mysite.verizon.net/cjmasi/lego/boxcar_alt_door_alt_ladder.mpd.zip
and
http://mysite.verizon.net/cjmasi/lego/boxcar.mpd.zip

if you want to download them and check out the details. They are spaced
just right, so the studs on the bottom of the boxcar guides the door on
the battom, and a 1xn plate on the top guides the door at the top.
They're not perfect, but they work pretty well.

Chris

--
http://mysite.verizon.net/cjmasi/lego/

Learn about brittle bone disease