 Trains / 26654
Re: SpeedRail TGV Thalys
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:11:48 GMT

   I am a big fan of all things TGV. (You may have seen my 10ft+ long TGV)

I have and it’s very impressive.

   This is a cool model and I see how you have been influenced by other designs. I know this is CAD work, but I would like to see how you have the articulation between the cars. Are you using the spring bricks or another method?

I’m using the technique David Allemann invented for his O-train (see it here). It is by far my favourite close-coupling technique and I have even built it in the brick before (which is pretty rare for me).

   Also I think the door design might be a bit big for this model.

Yes. Quite possibly. A three-wide door might have been better. I’m going through a bit of a TLC+ design phase at the moment where I try to keep things like TLC do but with a bit more detail so I wasn’t really checking the ratios.

   Overall cool design and the colors are great. Also do you have plans to make this built in the brick?

Thank you. No plans at the moment. It’s is designed to accept an IR motor (something I’ve been trying to do with my latest models) so I might build one when they come out but I’m afraid I don’t really have the space nor the bricks to build a seven-unit vehicle so it is unlikely.

At some point I might make instructions for it so that if anyone else wants to try they can (if anyone is interested please email me as I am more inclined to bother if I know there is interest). Presently there are a few internal features I didn’t build in order to speed up the rendering time so they would need to be added in first.

   Dave www.GPLR.org

Tim