 Trains / 26008
Re: Indian EMU
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 05:01:17 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Samarth Moray wrote:

   Exactly what do you mean by ‘precise’? I’d love to know. I build loads of IR models that are of this gauge, so any scale conversion (from real world to in the brick) you might have handy would be great for me. I suck at math :-P

Well, maybe precise was too exact a term:-) But I figure it like this:

I assume a scale of 1:48 (which is “O” scale). O scale model railroad locos are 8 studs wide, but LEGO track gauge is wider than O scale track gauge. So in essence, LEGO track gauge at 1:48 scale is some sort of wide gauge.

Now, if you assume for argument’s sake that a minifig is on average 5’ 6” tall, then you see how well it fits, because LEGO track gauge is almost exactly the same as a minifig’s height. And if IR gauge is 5’ 6”, well then you are spot on at 1:48 building 8 wide (assuming a 10 foot wide train).

JOHN