 Trains / 24825
Re: More obscure diesel variants (Was Re: BNSF new paint)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 05:00:52 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
   Mark’s mention of the Fell led me to look it up. It seems needlessly complicated and basically the result of trying to prove a mistaken point (that mechanical transmission could be as good or better than electrical)

If you’re interested

Tim

Actually, I tend to think that it was more along the lines of the original 1950 plan- try everyting, and see what works and what doesn’t work. Just because the FT was great in NA did not mean that it was going to be the best way to dieselize the UK railways...and if they had followed the original 1950 plan, the diesels were to be a temporary measure, unless they provided unique advantages over electric...which they don’t (with the exception of the 73’s...which are a dual purpose (like a FL-9) loco...).

Steam was going to be replaced, but the timeline was far longer than what actually happened (about 25 years longer...the standards were to last until the mid 90’s...), and electrification would take over most routes.

Since the advantages of diesel were not all that clear cut (and still are not to my mind...UK has lots of coal, no oil in the 50’s-early 70’s), the original plan of trying out most possible ways of making diesels and piloting them for 5-10 years made sense. The diesels that were past the pilot stage (08’s...) went into mass production around that time...and they were the most successful of the first gen diesels around...(they are still around now...whereas when was the last time a Bo Co ran? Or 10 000?). All sorts of ideas have been tried...see the Hunslet Diesel/Steam loco for an example of another failed attempt.

James Powell