 Trains / 24333
Re: BNSF new paint
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 23:35:40 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
   Snip

   for example I also love the British BR Class 37 especially in dirty faded BR blue like this one!

Wait- This looks like the Deltic 55... what’s the difference?

Legoswami Samarth

A lot of the British diesel designs of the 50’s and 60’s had the nose, which is probably their most distinctive design element. As well as the Deltic (class 55) and 37, the classes 40, 44, 45, and 46 also had a long nose. The 37 is a lower power design and a Co-Co, the 40, 44, 45 and 46 are all fairly similar and more powerful 1-Co-Co-1 s while the Deltic is a high power, passenger Co-Co(1). The Deltic was pretty much unique in railway terms in that it used the Deltic diesel engine (2) developed by Napier from those for motor torpedo boats.

All these locos look similar at first glance but the differences are soon quite apparent. The Deltic probably has the most different nose, its higher and more rounded while the 40 series are a lot longer than the 37s.

Tim

(1) see here for more on wheel arrangments. (2) see here for more on the Deltic diesel engine.

How about these for a Lego class 37 in jaded faded BR blue!

http://www.brickish.org/members/files/jreynolds/IMAGE0008.JPG(1).JPG

http://www.brickish.org/members/files/jreynolds/Atmos.jpg

I built this at least 3 years ago and have not had the heart to take it apart to improve it yet. I guess I’ll end up building an updated version alongside it, probably in Railfreight Grey livery. The model is 6-wide and was built with reference to prototype drawings and photos but it had to be compressed in length and uses a trailing pivoting axle for the outer wheelsets. This works OK but does not survive crash-coupling well so the next version will have these as the inner wheelsets.

Jon.