 Trains / 24332
24331  |  24333
Subject:
New point motor with a little SNOT - design submitted for testing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 22:33:49 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

For those who like to experiment with such things, I’ve designed a new point motor. I’d be grateful if someone can build another one and try it out.

It’s a combination of one of my earlier designs with some elements of Mark Riley’s control (manipulating the point lever rather than the slider) and Jon Reynold’s signals, but with my own added SNOT and mechanical miniaturisation.

Click for DAT

Click the image for the DAT file. I will render some instructions at some point, or if someone has a streamlined LPub setup and can do it for me it would be appreciated. I do have a display module to build in the meantime.

It’s a small footprint, at 8x8 studs, and a quarter of that overlaps the point lever itself. It meets all my criteria for a point motor, to whit:

1. It’s directional - use positive or negative current to set the direction.
2. It works at full 9V.
3. It’s powerful enough to switch new points without modification.
4. It has a belt drive for overrun protection.
5. It has a physical block to prevent overrun forcing of the point mechanism.

The design is intended to look like a small trackside bunker. You can remove the roof and lever off the end wall, then the motor and the first pulley (connected by two yellow belt drives) lift out together.

I found that instead of trying to use half-bushes and pulleys in the belt drive to get a 1:3 ratio, you get more power out of a belt drive using simply all pulleys. The larger contact area with the belt makes all the difference. And Lego belts really are best. You can use similarly sized elastic bands, but they tend to stretch more and can slip off the pulleys.

I use a 1:2 (8:16) gearing inside to add more power, so it’s not the fastest switcher around. But, it keeps a low profile by having an inverted rack driven from below. Using those technic connectors is another innovation to get the hole in the right place, the SNOT rack, and the half-plate height adjustment so the top tiles are at the right height. It’s the 1x2 tile on top of the sliding shuttle that stops it pushing too far. Having the gearing alongside the motor, and using the end of the motor as part of the shuttle guide wall all help reduce the footprint size too.

I included some technic 1-wide plates in the base, so that the holes in the ends of these plates get a very firm grip on the point itself.

Finally, there’s a rather fetching signal on the end.

You can build the opposite-hand version to the one in the picture, and the signal is optional. Just use a 1x4 plate where the 4x4 plate attaches, and a 6-stud axle instead of the 8 so it doesn’t protrude. If you fit that to the point, you’ll find it doesn’t extend beyond the end of the point. So, you could fit two of these motors on back-to-back points.

Anyway, any comments from someone who has the time to build and test one of these would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason Railton

More on motorising points can be found at FreeLug.