 Trains / 23439
Re: Motorized Switch using Monkey Motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:29:22 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Philippe Label wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Mark Riley wrote:
   Hi All,

Here’s an update of one of my earlier motorized switch designs. This design utilizes the new-style monkey(1) motor instead of the traditional Technic mini motor:

   Building diagrams can be found at my BrickShelf folder:

Hello Mark,

All I want to say right now is THANK YOU Mark. Again a very good shot. Now I am lurking around for useless “monkey” motors in the stock :-) The other point is to find Digitrax decoders around here. Can we still use a motor in the regular way even with a decoder mounted inside?

Hi Philippe,

You’re welcome & thanks! Perhaps Lenz decoders are more readily available where you live? They have some pretty small ones on their site here:

http://www.lenz.com/products/decoders/index.htm

The answer to your other question is “sort of”. Most decoders have a DC compatibility mode where the decoder will pass power directly to the motor in the absence of a DCC signal (i.e. rapid reversals in polarity). The problem is that this doesn’t kick in til about 3 volts, so you loose some of your low speeds. Also, you loose about a volt off the top because of diode drops in the decoder. I have no idea what a DCC decoder will do with a PWM signal as produced by an RCX operating at partial power, though - I’ll have to check into that.

Hope that helps,

Mark