 Trains / 23432
Re: Motorized Switch using Monkey Motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 18:44:22 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Riley wrote:
   Hi All,

Here’s an update of one of my earlier motorized switch designs. This design utilizes the new-style monkey(1) motor instead of the traditional Technic mini motor:

Building diagrams can be found at my BrickShelf folder:

Cheers,

Mark

(1) “Monkey” motor because it first came in this set:

    4094 Motor Movers
253 elements, 0 figures, US$40, 2003
LEGO > SYSTEM > Inventor

The actual part number for the motor is 47154.

Hi Mark -

Great design, and the DCC stuff pointed out later in this thread is exciting.

I’m curious - your switch designs seem to be updated from time to time to get a better base connection between the switch track itself and the motor, so does the monkey motor allow for a more rigid design? I’m guessing that since the base of the monkey motor has more inverted studs than the other new style Technic motors, you’re able to get more grip from it in your design. Also, you point out that the stiffness of the thin-walls helps out to maintain integrity of the design. Can you comment on those two items please?

Also, what happens (dare I ask...) if you use full power from a 9v controller on the device?

Thanks!

Ed