 Trains / 23429
Re: Motorized Switch using Monkey Motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:18:37 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Riley wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Mark Riley wrote:

   Question: does this require switch modification to de-stiffenize the mechanism?

No, all that is required is a standard unmodified switch. The motor has more than enough torque to throw the switch. In fact, I recommend that you feed a lower voltage to the motor as the motorized switch may(1) loosen up over time if run with the full 9 volts.

OK, thanks for the reminder! It sounds like maybe if you DCC-ise it, you would want the control program to issue non full power commands then?

   No more unsightly wires running all over the layout! All you need is a track connector going to the switch motor. In fact, since I’ve already modified some of my switches for DCC operation (i.e. both routes always powered), I plan on adding a short wire to each switch for connection straight to the smart motor.

I wish we could get track connectors and wires in bulk at good prices.