 Trains / 17026
Re: MOC: 4-6-4 Hudson
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:11:53 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Shaun Sullivan writes:

I uploaded pics of my 4-6-4 Hudson steam engine and tender this afternoon.

Fantastic work Shaun!

You really have created a Master Model. All the small detailing parts makes
it look so good. Good use of the 'string parts' (or what they now are
called) from the Camel set. Beautiful and very inventive cowcatcher of
course. I wish I could see your engine in real life. I must try to make a
copy if you don't mind.

(3)  The drive wheels actually ride on top of the rail, as is the case with
Ross's design.  This provides for the use of some interesting driver wheel
choices.  The driver wheels on each side are geared together with 24-tooth
gears in order to maintain alignment, and prevent binding with the linkages.
In order to pull this off, 5 24-tooth gears were needed for each side: one
attached to each wheel, and then two idler gears.  As a further challenge, the
idler gears had to make use of 1/4 stud offsets to maintain the correct
spacing.  The three driver wheels on each side are furthermore on separate
axles as the wheels on the other side, so that the two sides can rotate at
different rates as the train rounds curves.

This must have been a tricky construction problem to get room for all the
wheel mechanism parts. I would have liked to see a picture showing the
underside. What is the width between the wheels?

I have found a website which can be of good use as reference material. It is
Fine Arts Models if you haven't seen it before the URL is:

http://www.fineartmodels.com/models.htm

Once again a very inspiring model

Mattias