 Trains / 14157
Re: Have you seen these pictures? Bridge of 5.15 m length....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 12:48:34 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach writes:
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
Ben(ny) Efde and Marco (from Leeuwarden/NL) have done a new record of a
(100% pure) Lego®-train bridge which they have presented at their train show
in Leeuwarden last weekend.

I spent some time comparing these two pictures:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=87390  and

It looks like each triangle in the yellow truss is about 20 studs long -
each 7740 car is built on a 28 stud train base.

3 3/4 cars = 3.75x32 Studs (couplings included) = 5 triangles = 120 Studs
That means each triangle is 24 studs long...

Compare the length of each
yellow truss triangle with the arch bridge triangles, they look to be about
2.5 times as long - 50 studs.

the 2.5 are estimated and the 50 studs are in fact more than 60...

Ten triangles on the arch at 50 studs each is
500 studs, or 10.4 grey baseplates.  For those of use who don't count by
tens, that is 156.25 inches, or just a shade under 4 meters for those of you
who *do* count by tens.  <grin>
So the arch itself is around 4 meters long, the yellow truss sections on
each end bring the length up to 5.15 meters.

Each yellow part is 96 cm as demonstrated above: 5.15 minus 2x0.96 =?3,23 m?
That is impossible. So the 5.15 cannot include both yellow bridges, or the bow
would become very small....

So the single span itself isn't quite 5.15 m, it's "only" 4 m - still a VERY
impressive piece of LEGO engineering!!

It is in fact 5.15, wich can be recognised if you count the monorail track
pieces: there are 20 sections of monorail: each is 32 studs long. Makes 640
studs total length which is 5.12 meters.

And yea, I'm a huge geek to be spending time analyzing these pictures, but
most of you already knew that!  ;-)

You really bluffed me for a few days. I was not too sure about the real length,
till a friend of mine told about the length of the monorail track pieces (a
part which I never owned).

Kind regards,

Ben