 Technic / 7111
Re: How much can you shrink a dual differential drive?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:48:47 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.technic, Miguel Agullo writes:

Anybody can come up with a more compact design? Can anybody solve the dual
speed issue? I could add studs in width (distance between wheels) and one
stud in height to what already rises above the wheel axle (and maybe another
stud below). Height is critical, but losing some length is even more so.

Well, I think several people have delved into this, but here's my contribution
http://www.lugnet.com/~469/projects/addsub. It doesn't solve the "dual speed"
problem, but it's fairly small, and can be reduced further.

ROSCO

Thanks a lot, Rosco. I think I'm going to go with Stefano Prosseda's
variation, which you also mention on your webpage

I clearly didn't quite understand the concept and now see how my design had
way too many gears only to accomplish something totally unnecessary: feeding
input force to both axles of the diffrentials, instead of one axle and the
diff body and using the other axle for the outputs.