 Technic / 7109
Re: How much can you shrink a dual differential drive?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 07:26:38 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Miguel Agullo writes:
Hi all,

I've got an intriguing little MOC coming up that hopefully will interest
both the technicheads and the robogeeks. It is a tracked vehicle with a
twist, but you'll have to wait to learn all the details ;-) • snip

In the meantime, here is something I could use some help on. For precise
operation, I'm using a dual differential drive as described by the Ferrari
brothers in their book. My setup is farily different from theirs, mostly
because I need to save space. I've uploaded to brickshelf 2 dats and 4 POV
jpegs of how it looks right now. You might want to take a look.

Anybody can come up with a more compact design?

Here's yet another shrunken dual differential design.
It uses worm gears to drive both differential housings as a space saving
measure. This also the adds the feature (?) of a bit more gear reduction.

There's a few pics of the design here :

http://www.visi.com/~dc/transmission

-- Doug