 Technic / 6217
Re: Mechanical Automatic Transmission
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 22:09:26 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Rob Stehlik writes:
Very Impressive!
I have just been learning about real automatic transmissions in school, and
they are based on planetary gear sets. Depending on which ring gear is • locked,
you get different ratios. I never would have thought of using differentials • for
this function... but they are actually planetary gear trains :) Thanks for • the
info, you have really inspired me!
Rob
(btw, I also noticed the link to my humble CVT design... Thanks  :)

Hey, I built a knockoff of your CVT that did use the two dishes to increase
the friction.  It kind of helped, but it was still really lossy.  I've got
to say, that is a way cool design though!  I knew it would have a wide ratio,
but was still impressed when I saw it spin.

-jsj