 Technic / 4836
Re: Yet Another Technic Creation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 09:24:15 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Geoffrey Hyde writes:

   http://vulture/jen/lego/skip_lrg/chassis_right_lrg.htm

Hmm - that appears broken there, are you sure that's the correct link?  The
one further down would also appear broken!!

Ooops, that was a local alias I cut and pasted by mistake. The correct
address is:

http://www.telepresence.strath.ac.uk/jen/lego/skip_lrg/chassis_right_lrg.htm

There are rollers on the truck I based the model on, you can see them in
this picture:

   http://vulture/jen/lego/skip_lrg/real_hooklift_lrg.htm

and this one should be:

http://www.telepresence.strath.ac.uk/jen/lego/skip_lrg/real_hooklift_lrg.htm

I see, however I should warn you that there will be quite a bit of scraping,
as LEGO parts tend to scratch other LEGO parts a lot when they are in close
contact, and the heaver it gets, the more frequent the scratches will be.
:-)

No worries, it will add a bit of realism :-)

Also, about the dumpsters having wheels, not all of them have wheels - some
just lie there stationary, and the truck is put in neutral or is slowly
driven back/forward when the dumpster is in touch with the ground.

Aye, I have seen this too, in fact I made a comment about it in the first
picture caption in the Skip Loading section, although the skip in question
does have wheels in this case. You can do this with the model as well; in
fact many people when first having a go with the model truck think that this
is the "proper" way to do it.

I can say personally it is not unheard of for the larger varieties of
dumpster to get so heavy during loading that they will cause the front of
the truck to lift up a bit.  I witnessed this once when a truck was carrying
away demolition material, the load on it seemed quite heavy, but the lifting
on of the dumpster still seemed to progress smoothly.

Interesting! The one I based the model on never seemed to do this; I wonder
if they were just behaving themselves loadwise since they were working in
the city centre and there was a higher risk of being caught overloaded? ;-)

Jennifer