 Technic / 4814
Re: Yet Another Technic Creation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 02:08:10 GMT

First off, let me say WOW!  That is one impressive model!!  But I have a few
questions:

What problems did you run into when trying to put pneumatics into it?  If I
read the website correctly, trying this approach was abandoned early on
mainly because of weight - were there any other constraints like the
physical size and difficulty of not being able to use cylinders that are the
right length, because they don't yet exist as LEGO parts?

Also, the travel on the telescoping boom is quite short, I have seen some
trucks around here where the boom can telescope inward to quite a length,
leaving about 1/3 to 1/4 of the dumpster hanging off the end of it.

A lot of the larger trucks have large rollers that the main rails underneath
the bin simply slide on/off during loading and unloading.  Was there not
enough space to model something similar?

In some places, there are often large enclosed modules that compress and in
some cases, refrigerate, the garbage that is being disposed of, this would
mainly apply where you would have a large amount of waste rubbish to dispose
of.  While the recycling plant was operating here - it has since shut down -
they had a compactor that took the refuse which wasn't recyclable, and
compressed it - this can also be emptied by the same type of truck.

These trucks are apparently quite capable of hauling quite heavy loads, and
there are industrial variations which can take a load almost as big as a
semi-tipper, although they are a bit shorter than a semi-tipper.

Also, some types have hook attachment points on both ends; the truck simply
picks up the bins up one way for travel and hooks onto the other end when
tipping.  It is not uncommon to find a trailer module that can carry an
extra bin - one of the remote towns in our area has such a service.

Finally, I must say again that your site is very impressive, and that your
models are excellent!!   I would definitely give your models an A++ rating,
if I were grading this - even though I'm not a teacher, although the site
itself doesn't have a lot of visual eye-candy, it's not really that
important, and in no way detracts from the pleasure of seeing your models.
:-)

--
Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde