 Technic / 16052
16051  |  16053
Subject:
Inchworm 4
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2007 00:39:01 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I was playing with pneumatic piston and switch linkages trying to improve on the
geometries I've developed in the past.

This lead to inchworm 4.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/inchworm4/sta_0764.jpg

Inchworm 4 has two waves travel down its body like inchworm 3

http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=16051

The big difference is the design of an individual body segment, which ends up
looking like a 7.  A typical linkage involves a beam running parallel to the
piston, with the piston offset from the beam and hooked to a switch.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/inchworm3/hpim0057.jpg

Inchworm 4 has the piston in-line with the supporting beam.  A lever hooks the
piston to the switch, as seen here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/inchworm4/hpim0051.jpg

The orange 1x5 thick beam in the middle is the lever that hooks the piston to
the switch.

This new design makes for a very sleak and simplified than that in inchworm 3
(IMHO).

There are more pictures here:

For some of my old and dear friends, please notice the use of a wide variety of
colors (does John Barnes have enough time to read technic anymore?)

PLMKWYT,

Kevin