 Technic / 16051
16050  |  16052
Subject:
Inchworm 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2007 00:24:11 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Real life has finally slowed down enough to have time to build.  After showing
off my robots at an elementary school in another town for three days, I got a
huge burst of energy.

My first creation was a new kind of pneumatic inchworm.  It uses the late, great
Eric Brok's pneumatic control timing circuit as seen here

http://legomind.ericbrok.com/projects/other/pneutime.htm

Inchworm 3 uses four of Eric's timing circuits hooked together so that all four
timers stay synchronized.  Inchworm 3 has two waves traveling down its body at a
time as can be seen in this picture:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/inchworm3/hpim0054.jpg

I have a few pictures in this directory on brickshelf.

Inchworm 2 (shown here http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=127600)
had some issues with locking up as the wave passed the midsection.  I fixed this
originally by adding more pistons in the middle, but eventually made a slight
change to the geometry of the body segments.

Inchworm 3 is extremely reliable, and travels faster than its predecessors.

PLMKWYT,

Kevin