 Technic / 15964
15963  |  15965
Subject:
Killough platform with power functions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:23:58 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

A Killough platform is a triangular vehicle with three “omni-directional” wheels that can move or rotate in any direction. Here is my version using Power Functions motors. The obvious arrangement is to have one motor for each wheel. Instead, for an additional challenge, I wanted one motor to drive forward or backward, one motor to drive sideways (at 90 degrees to the first) and a third motor to rotate on the spot. This is converted to the correct motion of the wheels using an arrangement of four differentials (similar to an add-subtract mechanism but a little more complicated - is there a simpler way?), so any of these motions can also be performed simultaneously.

It works reasonably well. Inevitably it is a little bumpy because of the wheels. Large power functions motors might work better, but of course they are harder to mount.

Comments welcome. Video and more details of the mechanism to follow.

cheers, Alexander