 Technic / 15390
  United Air Lines DC-3 with working props and landing gear

Aircraft are difficult to taxonomize on LUGNET. This isn't a military plane, but military fans will recognize the "gooney bird" - the military's version of the DC-3 - so I included that. I decided to post it mainly under Technic because of the (...) (18 years ago, 16-Oct-06, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build.military, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.town, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug, FTX) !!

  Re: United Air Lines DC-3 with working props and landing gear

(...) Are these 6192/30337 (URL) Peeron shows them in black in Technic sets from the late '90s and a 4+ Pirate set from a few years ago. (18 years ago, 16-Oct-06, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: United Air Lines DC-3 with working props and landing gear

Nice moc William. You have captured the awkward shape of the planes' nose beautifully. Great backstory too. Kind Regards, Chris. Think it, Build it, Share it. (18 years ago, 16-Oct-06, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: United Air Lines DC-3 with working props and landing gear

--snip-- (...) --snip-- (...) Nice aircraft. At first glance I would have said it was a bit chubby but reading that you fit a bunch of working stuff in there I would turn that around to say lovely compromise between form and function. I think your (...) (18 years ago, 16-Oct-06, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.announce.moc, FTX)

  Re: United Air Lines DC-3 with working props and landing gear

Nice MOC! As Chris said, you have captured the awkward shape of this plane's shape very well! (18 years ago, 16-Oct-06, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: United Air Lines DC-3 with working props and landing gear

(...) OK. I'll out myself as an idiot before someone else does. I completely missed this model in .announce.moc (not once but twice) and figured it wasn't there. At least I was being stupid for a good cause ;) Tim (18 years ago, 16-Oct-06, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: United Air Lines DC-3 with working props and landing gear

(...) William, Wow, this is awesome. It's hard to capture a streamlined shape in Lego, but you've captured a DC-3, I didn't even need the name to recognize it. Thanks, George (18 years ago, 16-Oct-06, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: United Air Lines DC-3 with working props and landing gear

(...) Yes, that's the one. I hadn't seen those sets. I was too lazy to look on Peeron :-) (18 years ago, 17-Oct-06, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: United Air Lines DC-3 with working props and landing gear

(...) Originally I was going to go 6-wide, but went to 8-wide when I decided to add the mechanisms. (...) It's the same design as my previous big plane, the PB4Y-2: (URL) Really great built. Thanks!! (18 years ago, 18-Oct-06, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: United Air Lines DC-3 with working props and landing gear

(...) Thank you! (18 years ago, 18-Oct-06, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: United Air Lines DC-3 with working props and landing gear

(...) Thanks! It was definitely one of the most difficult projects I've done. (18 years ago, 18-Oct-06, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: United Air Lines DC-3 with working props and landing gear

(...) Well it helps that it's one of the most recognizable planes ever made... (18 years ago, 18-Oct-06, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: United Air Lines DC-3 with working props and landing gear

In lugnet.technic, William R. Ward wrote: SNIP Great MOC, William! I'm always impressed when art and function come together in an animated and impressive build. I really like the working ailerons and, of course, the landing gear mechanism. Good tail (...) (18 years ago, 18-Oct-06, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: United Air Lines DC-3 with working props and landing gear

(...) Thanks. That's what I was striving for. (...) Luckily the gear on a DC-3 is a simple design in real life so I could model it fairly easily. Currently it's on display in my office at Oracle HQ if ya wanna see it... (...) Hmm, yeah I guess (...) (18 years ago, 19-Oct-06, to lugnet.technic, FTX)