 Technic / 15310
Re: I feel Blue but aesthetics is gray.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2006 22:11:27 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Stump Dunn wrote:

   One reason to be able to match an exact shade is if you are modeling
something to be exactly like something else. If you are going to do that, then Technic is not a good genre to be in.
But i do build Technic and TLG have produced the parts i want in the colours i want in the past. There is still current evidence that they are willing to bend the standard colour-part rule in some circumstances.

   Technic Legos are basically a functional version of linear art. They display the inside workings of a machine which is what makes them original and educational. The goal is function first, aesthetics second. If Aesthetics is your first priority, then model team is a better genre to be in.

   You might want to clarify that Nathan. There are a lot of builders here that produce excellent looking Technic creations and take alot of pride in thier work. Can a clear line be drawn between to two themes ? I think the two compliement each other and as such, if a technic creation can look better, then try to make it look better. If a part exists in a colour that if used would make your creation look better in your eyes, then use it.

I meant that with Technic; there will always be holes and gaps in the bodies of cars or the frames of machinery. For a “model builder” that is serious about exact aesthetic details, Model team is more ideal. Dennis Bossman does not like Technic for that reason (as far as I can tell). Technic pieces only give a vague hollow shape to give the appearance of a covering- not that that is a bad thing. Doing so makes the inside of a machine visible and it also makes the MOC lighter. The more complete you want the outside to be, the more it weighs and the more shock absorbers you need to add if you want a stiff suspension. This also puts more weight on the axles and means that stronger motors are required to power the MOC- which may break the gears if the builder is like me and doesn’t know anything about torque.

   My issue is i personally believe that TLG could have picked a more visually neutral colour for this common part.

Agreed.

   However, I understand what you mean when you say that gray and black are universal colors for functional pieces. Since TLG has decided to make them in all colors, aesthetic purists will essentially have to fork over more money to get their designs all in one color or in “matching colors.”

This is good news for any technic builder utilising Blue. In my opinion, not so good news for any other colour.

At least blue is a beautiful color - but that is just my opinion. Chrome marigold would be even better!

The
   more importance a builder puts in getting an exact shade of a certain color, the less they can do with the resources they have. The more colors TLG produces, the more money it costs the builder to get bricks in “matching colors.” TLG probably makes money off of kids in the toy store that arent picky about colors because they don’t do anything with a set they buy other that put it together and put it on the shelf. There are more of those kids than there are of us serious builders, and kids in the toy store are attracted to bright colors.

But again an example of when TLG bent the rules because the colour is a very important selling point is with the technic enzo. Why couldn’t the rules be bent for axle pins ? The 2L axles in that set were black so the axle pins could have been red to make it look beeter.

I have not gotten the Enzo kit and am not familiar with the parts from that kit.

Basically I am saying it pays to put aesthetics second to function. I try to color coordinate pieces in my MOC’s, but that sometimes means making MOC’s in a different color than is typical in real life or making them multi-colored. I also have enough pieces in enough colors to get away with color coordination.

Likewise, however to date i don’t own any red or yellow axle pins with friction. There were a lot of people claiming their investement in classic grey was useless now that new grey didn’t match. I think the issue is similar in that no collours appart from blue appear to match blue axle pins.

Agreed. Another problem with making the colored axle pins without friction is that when they are used for the outward body/shell of an MOC, the body/shell is weakened. The body needs to be strong too.

If you are trying to do the most with what you have, than worrying about
   colors is the worst thing you can do.

I like 8435 in blue because blue is one of my favorite colors but if it did not have other non-blue colored functional pieces in it than I would not have bought it.

Are you suggesting that functional pieces are prefereable in non-blue?

No; I am saying that: 1. There is not much reason to make gears any other color than gray or black because those pieces are typically inside machines or covered up. 2. Pneumatic pistons don’t really need to be any other color than yellow but clear ones work just as good. 3. When TLC makes clear piston blocks and yellow/red/blue pistons I don’t particulary like it, but I still use them because I need so many to keep all my projects together simultaneously. 4. If TLG were to group certain pieces as “functional/gray” and others as “aesthetic/colored”, that would somewhat limit the use of those pieces. Using a part in an atypical fashion is one way builders come up with new ideas. There is no right/wrong way to use a part if it works. That is why form should follow function. I can’t think of any good way to solve the color problem without either apathy or spray paint. Purists may not like the spray paint idea but what would they say if TLG sold Lego brand spray paint designed for Lego plastic? As long as it comes off, and kids don’t try to sniff it- there is no problem:-)

You heard it here folks- TLG SHOULD MAKE LEGO BRAND SPRAY PAINT TO ALLOW USERS TO ALTER THE COLOR OF THEIR PIECES!

Disclaimer: Lego is not responsible for any paint-addiction caused by their product.

   Nathan Bell