 Technic / 15300
15299  |  15301
Subject:
I feel Blue but aesthetics is gray.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2006 16:19:05 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Stump Dunn wrote:
   I have been objective to the standard part colour combinations from TLG for a few years now. ..........> Now im not going to start a petition

Im not going to start up a save black axle pins with friction website

but i would like a responce from technic builders who have an opinion about standard part-colour combinations.

As far as generic structural parts are concerned, i think it would be great if TLG kept producing parts in many colours. However modern construction techniques lead me to belive new and existing parts such as axles and axle pins should be included in this category.

Are you happy with Blue, Tan and Red ?

Also, which is you favourite colour 8435 ?

Steve

I am a strong believer in “form follows function.” The reason for this is that function can be evaluated based on absolute criteria- physics, ergonomics, ect. Aesthetics is not evaluated on absolute criterian other than beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

One reason to be able to match an exact shade is if you are modeling something to be exactly like something else. If you are going to do that, then Technic is not a good genre to be in. Technic Legos are basically a functional version of linear art. They display the inside workings of a machine which is what makes them original and educational. The goal is function first, aesthetics second. If Aesthetics is your first priority, then model team is a better genre to be in.

However, I understand what you mean when you say that gray and black are universal colors for functional pieces. Since TLG has decided to make them in all colors, aesthetic purists will essentially have to fork over more money to get their designs all in one color or in “matching colors.” The more importance a builder puts in getting an exact shade of a certain color, the less they can do with the resources they have. The more colors TLG produces, the more money it costs the builder to get bricks in “matching colors.” TLG probably makes money off of kids in the toy store that arent picky about colors because they don’t do anything with a set they buy other that put it together and put it on the shelf. There are more of those kids than there are of us serious builders, and kids in the toy store are attracted to bright colors.

Basically I am saying it pays to put aesthetics second to function. I try to color coordinate pieces in my MOC’s, but that sometimes means making MOC’s in a different color than is typical in real life or making them multi-colored. I also have enough pieces in enough colors to get away with color coordination.

If you are trying to do the most with what you have, than worrying about colors is the worst thing you can do.

I like 8435 in blue because blue is one of my favorite colors but if it did not have other non-blue colored functional pieces in it than I would not have bought it.

Nathan Bell