 Technic / 15299
Re: I feel Blue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:37:00 GMT

"Stump Dunn" <stumpd@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:J2ox58.D07@lugnet.com...

<http://www.peeron.com/pics/inv/setpics/10144-1.1125514892.thumb2.jpg>
white 8 tooth gears

Neither can BrickLink, apparently, their set inventory lists that part as
being light bluish grey.  Go figure.

I think perhaps the matter is that i can't find a reason to why TLG would
create
such an anomoly.

I could probably think of one reason why TLG would "create" such an anomaly.
TLG only used white 8-tooth gears in one set, according to BrickLink.  My
theory is that they had a relatively small number of these parts left over
from that set run, and what they decided to do was pack it in sets in order
to deplete the remaining stock they had of that part.

Why produce a one off part, such as the white 8 tooth gears in the sand
crawler
in an obscure colour, for only one set, that doesn't appear to be needed
in that
colour combination ? It must be expensive. Perhaps the expence can be
negated in
such an expencive set.

It could be it's more expensive for TLG to keep that part in that particular
color warehoused.  I think that including bonus unneeded pieces which are
taking up warehouse space is a brilliant move by TLG.

TLG don't want to recycle unneeded extra pieces, they want to sell them to
the public if they can.  If not, I guess they have to consider the next best
thing, including them as freebies in sets.

I have on occasion seen bonus extra pieces which are not needed in a set
included.  Rather weird random selections sometimes too.  I guess TLG are
trying to send a message that the customer need not build just that
particular set.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde