 Technic / 11974
Re: Studless Technic models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 02:20:44 GMT

I've been busy lately, so I wasn't really able to post on this topic
earlier, but I feel I have some things to add.

First, my opinion is that both studded  and studless beams are useful. I have
built machines that wouldn't have been possible without either, and I appreciate
the compactness and light weight of the new studless beams.

Both systems - studded beams and plates, and studless beams - are compatible
with technic connectors, pins, and axles, but each also has its own advantages.
Studded beams and plates can connect to each other and other bricks directly
without the need for special connector pieces, and beacause of their bricklike
structure, easily form solid 3d constructs like frames and gearboxes. Also,
because of their denser structure and great variety of compatible elements,
studded pieces are great for modeling detailed objects. Studless beams are
useful because of their slimmer size and lighter weight, allowing more compact
mechanisms and joints.

Technic has changed a lot over the years. The original Technic sets were an
offshoot of the main Lego line. They used beams and plates like the rest of the
Lego system, but the beams and plates also included holes that could be used in
conjunction with axles and pins (which then could be connected to gears, cams
and other mechanical components) to form moving mechanisms that weren't possible
with standard Legos. Over the years, this new type of connection system has
begun using more types of connectors and proved very versatile, but wasn't
originally intended to replace the stud connection system.

I realize that the hole/pin/axle connection system is very versatile and has
advantages, just as the regular stud connection system is very versatile and has
its own advantages, but that isn't the main issue. The studded beam was
designed to use the new connection system while also maintaining compatibility
with the rest of the lego system. The amount of new technic parts has made
studless building techniques viable, and the some builders have made impressive
models using these techniques, but if lego uses exclusively studless beams in
technic sets, they are essentially making technic into a separate building
system that is largely incompatible with the rest of the lego system. Not only
does this cut down building options by not allowing you to take advantage of
both types of building techniques, It also goes against the core Lego principle
of universal compatibility. I feel that this is a very bad move, especially at a
time when the company has said that they are "getting back to basics" because of
recent financial troubles.

-James