 Technic / 11938
Re: Studless Technic models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:06:09 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jindrich Kubec wrote:

It's like you read my mind. I'd been wondering for the last few days the best
way to raise this very subject, the inferiority of the new Technic system.

Hi,

As I've built Backhoe yesterday, I still don't get that Lego move. Why
did they replace _ALL_ technic bricks with studless beams? I think that
the beams have 'right to live', for styling the outer parts they're
invaluable and models look better.

But the traditional approach of building from bottom to top (few technic
bricks, some plates, some additional bricks and 90deg beam connections
is IMO much more logical _and_(!) in line of previous Lego experience of
the builder. This studless way of building is IMO much more complicated
and completely different when compared to traditional Lego brick
building. Not mentioning that attaching a beam to 4-5 pins is a pain.

So the questions are:
1) What was first set without stud?
2) Have anybody tested backhoe on animals^H^H^H^H^H^H^H children? Is it
really possible that 11 years old could assemble it without problems?

3) Have anybody of you tried to build studless MOC?

This is the key question, somthing I was going to ask but I didn't because
knowing Lugnet I expected the responce. "well it's a new system, I haven't got
many parts yet, give it a chance, we have to adapt to the new system".

It would make me happy if instead of people just reacting in the negative to
this thread they'ed actually get the (I almost said bricks, old habit) studless
parts out and actually try to build somthing. Get some experience, make a
comparison and then you'll know the old system is superior.

We should also get the Mindstorms people in on this debate as they use the same
bricks.

I've got a new Moc almost finished. And I'll admit it use's studless. But only
in a two-dimensional format. It's when you try to make stable 3D structures from
studless only that you get into trouble. Then try bracing components like
pnumatic switches inside your structure (not just stuck on an exterior beam).

4) Should we bother TLC with this issue too?

Yes, and now is the correct time.

The old studded system is far superior to the new.

Steve