 Technic / 11952
Re: Studless Technic models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:10:37 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steven Lane wrote:
   In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
   In lugnet.technic, Steven Lane wrote:
   In lugnet.technic, Allan Bedford wrote:

It is my belief that Technic studded beams will always be around, as long as technic is around. There are too many advantages of studded beams over studless beams for them to go away. So for me that is a non-issue.

Studless beams have advantages over studded beams. The are narrower, in that you can hook two studless beams side by side with pins into adjacent holes in a studded beam. Cannot do that with studded beams.

So, they both are a good thing.

Studless plus studded beams give us *more* options, than just studded beams. This enriches the possibilities for MOCs. This is a good thing in my humble opinion.

Everyone can see that the two systems have their own advantages and that combining the two gives the advantages of both, but thats not the problem. The problem is that the 2003 sets had NO studded beams.

There are no 2003 TECHNIC sets that have studed beams. There certainly are non-TECHNIC sets that have them

   Since I don’t beleive that studded beams are going away, then the appearance of studless beams is a big advantage.

Having a few studded beams in a set is useless. We need whole sets of them if we are to make decent sized models.

So you are ALL or NOTHING. This is fine on a set by set basis, but not across the entire product line.

   I for one will be very unhappy if you somehow make LEGO stop creating studless beams. If LEGO were to stop making studded beams, I would be equally upset.

Does it *have* to be an exclusive decision?

It’s Lego who are making this an exclusive decision with the 2003 line.

With the 2003 TECHNIC product line. Again, this is not true across the entire LEGO product line for 2003.

I’d be perfectly happy with mixed Technic sets. I don’t think Lego would make them now though because this would involve more set complexity and therefore more cost.

RIS 2.0 is mixed. I’m not sure why having both makes anything worse.

Steve

Kevin