 Technic / 11898
Re: Fire truck of LEGO ..... or not?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:59:10 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Adrian Drake wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Allan Bedford wrote:
I wonder why LEGO doesn't bring out such models.

Because LEGO thinks that fire trucks should look like race cars:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8454

This truck isn't really that far out.  For your consideration, take a look at
the following, which are current design airport crash trucks:

http://www.rosenbaueramerica.com/ProductsServices/Vehicles/ARFF/EightWheeledPanther/index.cfm

http://www.carmichael-int.co.uk/new_prod/mainnew.htm

They're not quite as streamlined as the Lego model, but the family resemblance
is definitely there.

Adrian... thanks for the links.  It certainly seems as though there might have
been some real world inspiration for this model afterall.  But as I've noted
elsewhere in the thread, I think that a more traditional airport rescue vehicle
might have created a wider appeal.  Perhaps something like this:

http://airport.kovatch.com/products/files/fire/airport/ARFF.jpg

However... who knows?  Maybe the race car fire truck is selling like...
wildfire.  ;)

All the best,
Allan B.