 Space / 9765
Re: New MOC - The Galaxy Enforcer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 22:42:22 GMT

"Bob" <cg47@hotmail.com> writes:
Unless someone has offically copyrighted something, then anyone is free to
use the same name as someone else.  Especially since all of this is supposed
to be for having fun and not for making profit, right?

Copyright is for creative works such as pictures of the spacecraft,
text describing them, etc.  Copyright is automatic, and need not be
"officially" done - this post is copyrightten by me, even if I don't
say it.  However registering a copyright will make it easier to
collect on infringement.

Trademarks are for protecting names of products, and only apply if it
is an actual product, rather than something you do in your spare time
like Lego MOC's.  Trademarks must be declared with "TM" or registered
(you get to say "R" in a circle) if so, in order to have any protected
status.

For instance, how about the name "Enterprise"?  Let's see how many times
this name shows up:

1) U.S.S. Enterprise NC-1701A-E (fictional Star Trek starships)
2) U.S.S. Enterprise CVN-65 (real United States aircraft carrier)

And other Navy ships before that one, too.

3) U.S.S. Enterprise (real NASA space shuttle orbiter)

Not really - the NASA Enterprise never went into orbit.  It was only
used for glide tests.  I don't think it was ever fully equipped with
rockets, the special tiles, etc.

--Bill.

P.S.: Sorry if I'm being overly pedantic today....

                    (formerly known as hermit@bayview.com)
                   Life is too important to take seriously.