 Space / 18669
Re: Deciding on a large ship acronym
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 23:29:20 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:

(Some How I Phinished ;-)

Haha!

Why not combine the two?  For example from now on anything that is larger
than 100 studs (aside from it's function) would be a C1 SHIP.  200 up would
be a C2 SHIP etc..

Could work.  But what do we mean by "100 studs"?  Are we discussing length
of the model?  What if someone designs a model that is rather wide, deep, or
tall?  Theoretically, a ship could contain thousands of pieces and still
measure less than 100 studs long, depending on its shape.  In real life,
sea-ships are measured using tonnage and displacement (I think).  How might
such a thing be translated to mini-figure scale for space vessels?

Anything less than 100 studs would just be a ship.

Or, as I do in my world, anything small is called a "craft".  Spacecraft,
unlike spaceships, are typically too small to have a bridge, can be piloted
by just one or two people, and due to their size they lack the supplies
needed for lengthier space journies on their own.  I compare it to sailing
ships.  A ship can travel independently oversea, but small craft and boats
are mostly for coastal travel.  ...The next logical question would be
whether the word CRAFT or BOAT is an acronym for something too...

-Hendo