 Robotics / 27557 (+5)
Subject:
PnP, an NXT-based "industrial" robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 2008 04:06:06 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

OK, I had to post this in rtl because I confess the main inspiration for this
was watching Ian's amazing LEGO industrial P&P automations over the years. This
isn't nearly as fast as his, but it's the first time I've captured a motion I
really like, and I'm happy with the extensibility of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZolqjEnhB4

OK, it could use a better name, but still. The other inspiration for this was a
contest I was in a while ago, to replicate a cube of 2x4 bricks. A lot of the
folks involved seemed to think that the lack of easy linear mechanism in the NXT
set was a significant problem. I didn't see it quite that way, at least not when
I had all these motor encoders "free" with the NXT, and decided to base mine
entirely on non-linear motion. I didn't quite finish it (gearing to push the
2x4's firmly together was a stumbling point), but really liked the manipulative
mechanism, so I improved it and started testing it. Since one of these "arms"
only needs two NXT motors, two NXT sets could drive three of these setups,
leading to a fun looking assembly line.

I'll toss some pics up on Brickshelf if anyone is interested, but really, this
is awfully simple - most folks here could replicate it from the video alone.
It's just fun to watch it work with that precision for a long period of time.

--
Brian Davis

Re: Help vintage 1093 Interface A