 Robotics / 27562 (+10)
Subject:
2D sound localizing robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2008 14:39:44 GMT

Here is our new sound localizing robot called Nic_3. It is capable of fixing the
azimuth of a sound source that is located in the horizontal plane. The
localizing process is done using the stereo audio amplifier that we already used
with Nic_1 and Nic_2. (For several reasons Nic_2 has not been published yet.)
The amplifier is directly connected to the RCX inputs 2 and 3. (input 1 is used
to power the sensor).

The RCX samples 2 x 1000 data-points on each ear at a frequency of 36kHz. Then
it processes the time-lag between both signals within 100ms. This is
impressively fast, because we apply a high speed phase detection.

The RCX repeats the sampling and detection process 10 times and takes the
average of the measurements. Then the RCX computes the azimuth from the time-lag
and sends the angle to the NXT through the HiTechnic IR-link.

The RCX program has been written in ULTIMATE ROBOLAB and H8-Assembler, while the
NXT has been programmed using the LabVIEW NXT-toolkit.

http://www.convict.lu/htm/rob/phase_detection.htm