 Robotics / 27185
Re: Re Rafe Donahue's GBC binary counter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2007 03:16:43 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Rafe Donahue wrote:

Greg D spent a great deal of time manning the
loop and did, as usual, a wonderful job.

That I can believe - he's amazingly good at that. I just hope my modules didn't
give him any trouble.

Steve H redid the train thing so that it went
back-and-forth, instead of round-and-round.
Personally, I think this turned out to be a much
better system, since it removed the train for me
inadvertently knocking it to the floor.

It works very well that way for closing loops - both Steve and I can switch the
trains from "circulating" to "ping-pong" mode at will, although usually in a
given show on one mode is used.

Gus' NXT-driven fork-lift was a joy to watch.

*That* I'm really sorry I missed. Gus, Dave, and the rest of the SMART group
were my inspiration for my forklift GBC module... so much that after a lot of
correspondance with him, I ended up naming my (RCX-based) forklift "Gus". With
all the recent stuff, I've not had the time to pull it out and improve it much,
but the NXT forklift sounds wonderful. Any video out there on this yet?

I know that my posterior Bayes updater worked even better
than I had come to expect when testing here at home, so
that was a relief for me.

Do you have pictures up (Brickshelf, other)? Or at least an explaination?

Walt from California brought a small link-lifting
module that we inserted into the chain.  It worked
well but we learned a lesson on pushing too hard on
the part tolerances with his module!

Did things keep binding up because of tight clearance?

Steve H is going to be posting the text from my GBC
reliability talk on the web one of these days.

I look forward to it - it's a talk I'd have loved to sit in on. And yeah, a lot
of it could be summed up in two points:

1) Follow the Spec... the Spec is good... always follow (or exceed!) the Spec.

and

2) Test the module until your eyes bleed, and then do it again.

Oh, and someone (again I forget, someone please
help me here) brought the drawbridge for the
train so that we could enter and leave the display
area in a highly classy fashion.

As mentioned, that was John Brost. He worked hard on that module, after many of
us just said "yeah, I'm sure that would work". He's the guy that actually went
out and put it into practice. That's another thing I really hope to see in the
future.

All in all, it went well, but we missed Brian Davis.

Well, I wish I could have been there, and missing the festivities a lot as
well... but on the other hand I did get to do a 9 mile hike up above the
treeline (in 4 hours... altitude can really make things interesting) in
Colorado, so my day was fairly full as well :-).

--
Brian Davis