 Robotics / 27176
Re: Re Rafe Donahue's GBC binary counter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:57:11 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jordan Bradford wrote:
I saw this and was reminded of Rafe's binary counter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcDshWmhF4A
http://woodgears.ca/marbleadd/

It's a marble-powered binary adder.

Rafe's counter could do this with a tiny bit of modification. He'd just have to
add a tray at the top and bottom to temporarily store the input and output for
easy viewing.

Hi Jordan,

You are right; Rafe's counter actually does this already.  The only mod would be
the storage trays you mentioned.

In fact, during down times at Brickworld, I often mention that the machine is
really an adding maching and all we are doing in the GBC set-up is adding unity
to the total.  I sometimes show that we can add, say, 5 + 6 + 7 like the
wood-worker does by setting all the flip-flops to zero and then just dropping
all the balls into the appropriate holes at the top.

Anyway, thanks for the post for the opportunity to see the wood version.

We just got in from our return trip from Chicago; I now think some long naps are
in order!

Rafe