 Robotics / 27182
Re: Re Rafe Donahue's GBC binary counter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2007 03:32:11 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Brian Davis wrote:

I'll use this as a location to ask (for those of us who *couldn't* make it...
this time...) how did the GBC in particular go? What were some of the new or
innovative modules, and does anybody have GBC-specific pictures up as yet?

Brian,

Greg D spent a great deal of time manning the loop and did, as usual, a
wonderful job.

Steve H redid the train thing so that it went back-and-forth, instead of
round-and-round.  Personally, I think this turned out to be a much better
system, since it removed the train for me inadvertently knocking it to the
floor.

Gus' NXT-driven fork-lift was a joy to watch.

I know that my posterior Bayes updater worked even better than I had come to
expect when testing here at home, so that was a relief for me.  Of course, on
the outside it just looked like the balls were falling through a randomizer; the
wise ones among us knew it was actually computing the mean using an analog
computer the whole time!

Phil made some modifications to his large module from last year.  It took some
tinkering during the first day and some additional reprogramming but he was able
to keep it running during the two expo days.

Walt from California brought a small link-lifting module that we inserted into
the chain.  It worked well but we learned a lesson on pushing too hard on the
part tolerances with his module!  But it was great that he added it to the
display.

Steve H is going to be posting the text from my GBC reliability talk on the web
one of these days.  The key point, of course, is to always follow the spec!  But
you knew that, right?  :-)

A young man whose name escapes me brought a simple NXT powered lifting gate
thing later in the show.  We were able to insert that into the chain on, I
think, the second day.

There were some standard modules that I had brought before, like my foosball
game and ball counter, and some by others that I had seen before, like Andrew
D's minimal 10x10x10 stepper, and some others that came from Indiana, although I
never have learned whose was whose!

Oh, and someone (again I forget, someone please help me here) brought the
drawbridge for the train so that we could enter and leave the display area in a
highly classy fashion.  Crawling under the tables seems SO lame now...

All in all, it went well, but we missed Brian Davis.

Rafe