 Robotics / 26836
Re: RCX controlled GBC train drawbridge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 02:29:46 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Brian Davis wrote:

Not sure what you mean here. I was just picturing a permenant gently-sloping
rail along the entire upper superstructure of the span, fixed in place (it would
look something like a loooong shallow diagonal spar or cable span). With the
bridge down, the slope is right to carry the balls across. As the bridge tilts
up it obviously wouldn't work (wrong angle; any balls that are on it would roll
the wrong way), but that's why you'd need the RCX to stop the lift mechanism a
little before the actual tilting of the bridge span. I admit I was picturing the
ball stream as being "lifted" on the end that has the pivot, and the "low" end
to the far side (left, in most of your pictures), but it should work in either
case.

I am 100% thinking along the same line.  At first I thought of simply stopping
the ball lift and immediately raising the bridge, letting balls along the slope
drain backward into a hopper, but after watching the bridge raise and lower, I
doubt any of them would roll smoothly back into the hopper.  I think just
cutting off the lift and waiting for them to drain out is best.  The only thing
I am worried about is how long it would take for the sloping ball stream to
empty out before I could lift the bridge.  The balls will have to travel about
3' to cross the whole span.  I suppose I could use a little more than a "gentle"
slope, but at any rate, I think speed is going to be key to keep the train going
and keep the whole GBC running smoothly.  I don't want to take down the whole
GBC because my bridge is slowing things down.  After all, I need to keep up a
1bps rate to stay within spec ;)

Guess I'll just have to try it and see.

How long would you be willing to stand and wait for the bridge to go up so you
could walk through?

John