 Robotics / 26815
26814  |  26816
Subject:
RCX controlled GBC train drawbridge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 19:20:42 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I suppose this doesn't have to really be for the GBC only, but that was why I
decided to build it.  I've been playing with this idea since Brickfest '06 when
Steve Hassenplug suggested a way to go in & out of the GBC area without crawling
under the tables would be nice.  This is the second attempt and still needs a
little work, but it is getting much closer.  Thanks to Brian Davis who helped me
figure out the balance/counterweight issues I was having.  The first version
only had a span of around 15 inches or so.  This one clears 2 ft easily.  Here's
the Brickshelf folder.

For the train-heads out there, it is designed for 6-wide trains.  There isn't
enough room for an 8-wide.

It is powered by an RCX, set inside one of the yellow bridge towers.  The RCX
powers both the bridge raise/lower function and will also power the bridge track
and a section of track leading up to the bridge so trains won't go flying into
the counterweight when the bridge is up.

On the far side, the bridge hits a polarity switch when it is lowered that can
be used to turn on/off power to the track on the far side of the bridge so
trains don't go over the edge when the bridge is up.

The raise/lower function is keyed, so only those with a key can operate it.
This will keep kiddies from making it go up & down all the time at shows.  You
can see the "key" here.

and here's where you put the key in.  It is 3 touch sensors in an AND
configuration so all 3 have to be pressed to register the touch on the RCX.
This is embedded in the second bridge tower.

There's no GBC ball stream ability right now across the bridge, I think this may
be a possibility, something I'll probably explore.

Oh, almost forgot, now with youtube video goodness!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi9e82UC6WY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvHrUY5Lw0E

Comments/Suggestions please!

John