 Robotics / 26817
Re: RCX controlled GBC train drawbridge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 03:11:23 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Brost wrote:

I suppose this doesn't have to really be for the GBC only,
but that was why I decided to build it.

Very slick-looking John. It seems odd that one of the neatest attractions in the
GBC may be only tangentially related to soccer balls, but that is a very nice
design. I especially like the electrical cutouts at both ends. I have to ask,
have you tested it with a train?

...it is designed for 6-wide trains.

...especially since the GBC cars have a bump-out below the baseplate?

Thanks to Brian Davis who helped me figure out the
balance/counterweight issues I was having.

You're more than welcome; you clearly put a lot of time into it. I see what the
problem is now that I see where the counterweight is (and why it's got to be
there, of course). Nice solution. I really like the ket as well... now, we'll be
able to tell who "should" be in the GBC enclosure by the LEGO keys around their
neck (hanging fromn a chain of chainlinks, of course ;-).

What is the mass of the counterweight? And what did you make it out of?

There's no GBC ball stream ability right now across
the bridge

That would be wonderful to see, although it implies a way cut off the ball flow
(gravity driven) over the span before the bridge is actually lifted. Manually, a
simple switch throw, wait for the balls to drain from the span, and then lift
the span would work... but since the bridge is key-activated, if the RCX could
be driving the ball lift, upon key insert it could shut off the ball lift and
wait for the balls to drain away, before then lifting the bridge proper.

Oh, almost forgot, now with youtube video goodness!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi9e82UC6WY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvHrUY5Lw0E

Very cool. I think it should be pretty easy (if not as pretty) to thread a ball
stream across it. At BF'06 I had a long (more than 3') double-rail of inverted
Technic 16L beams that worked great, with a little sag. Feeding balls onto it
would be the only tricky part (off the other end should by much easier).

Nice work, John!

--
Brian Davis