 Robotics / 24936

Subject:
pwering the NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 00:58:14 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Lee Magpili wrote:
check out www.mindstorms.com/press

lego just put out a press release all about the NeXT version of mindstorms

I know that I am second guessing people who clearly know more than me, but what
is wrong with the following idea relating to powering it.

Make the RCX in two parts. One is the diplay/CPU (A).  The other is the power
sources (B).

B plugs into A, connected by a wire.
The power input for A would also be able to take an AC adapter.

Advantages:
-More flexibility in physically setting up the RCX as part of a contruction if
you choose to use the battery(power could be far away from the RCX itself, or
mobile with respect to RCX)
-If you use AC power, you eliminate the bulk of the battery pack.

The only downside I see is that if you disconnect A from B then volatile memory
would be erased.

Why was the option for an Adaptor not included with the NXT? How much cost could
it have added?

Re: pwering the NXT