 Robotics / 25045
Re: pwering the NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:59:43 GMT

On 08/01/06, Chris Magno <cmagno@rogers.com> wrote:
Brian Davis wrote:
We dont know if it was taken out due to cost, OR due to the number of
problems it had caused there customer service dept.

I recall several posts from people claiming to have fried there units
because they had plugged some non-acceptable power source into the rcx.

There is soemthing about that seems very, very likely. What they could
do is a moulded, polarised connector, something that is their own, but
not too hard for a real tinkerer to copy if they wanted to, and make
sure the spec is well known. That way, those who have tinkered and
broken it have gone out on enough of a limb that they are aware of the
possible risk.

I like the idea of the possibility that the NXT could be powered
through the USB port. I dont know that it is, but that really would be
a great feature. A feature which a hacker might also be able to use to
supply power via batteries if need be. I have a USB spec book
somewhere - I will have to check, I know that it has something about
the initial host supplying low current until negotiation has occured,
and then allowing higher current draw.
--
Danny Staple MBCS
OrionRobots