 Robotics / 23358
    Johnny five IS alive - first MOC —Stefan Naepflin
   hello all After a long building time (uncounted houres during one and a half year) I finally assembled my Johnny Five robot the first time. This was a great feeling looking to the robot and I will share this with you.I found a lot of inspiration on (...) (19 years ago, 19-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build.mecha) !!

        Re: Johnny five IS alive - first MOC —Ross Crawford
     (...) I've added .technic to the groups cos I think they'll like it over there too! Can't wait to see the finished robot - I remember Short Circuit from when I was a kid. One question I have, how smoothly does it move on those treads? I found my (...) (19 years ago, 20-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.technic)

         Re: Johnny five IS alive - first MOC —Stefan Naepflin
     (...) Hi Thank you for your feedback and for adding my post to .technic. Yes it's true, moving is pretty jerky and because of the huge overall weight the treads will broke up .relatively often. Maybe I'll think about another kind of treads but I'll (...) (19 years ago, 20-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.technic)

         Re: Johnny five IS alive - first MOC —Ross Crawford
     (...) You might find that spreading the hinge plates wider on the tread shoes will help. Having them near the centre increases the "twisting" effect if there are forces near the edge of the shoes. Also, having 3 per shoe instead of 2 may help - mine (...) (19 years ago, 20-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.technic)

         Re: Johnny five IS alive - first MOC —Nick Kappatos
     (...) Perhaps switching to 2x plates instead of 4x for the tread surfaces would help - this would help to smooth the curve around the wheels, at the cost of almost doubling the number of hinges you would need to add. Otherwise, love this MOC. Great (...) (19 years ago, 20-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.technic)

         Re: Johnny five IS alive - first MOC —Stefan Naepflin
     (...) --snip-- good idea,I have a lot of hinge plates in my depot. So I will give a try. -------- (...) -- snip -- Yes the 4x plates are really "stressed" turning around the wheels. I think the combination of both, smaller plates and re-arangeing (...) (19 years ago, 21-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.technic)

        Re: Johnny five IS alive - first MOC —Mark Neumann
     Hi Steven I remember seeing this a while back and thinking it wasn't even Lego, until I looked closer, woof. Woof, woof. And not only is it a great model but then you roboticized it as well. Cool. I can't wait to see when your done. This will be (...) (19 years ago, 20-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build.mecha)

         Re: Johnny five IS alive - first MOC —Stefan Naepflin
     (...) Hi Mark Thanks for your feedback. Yes, treads are working, but moving is rather bumpy. Because of the construction of the treads and the huge overall weight they easily broke up. I'll give my best to make little movies and post it here. First (...) (19 years ago, 20-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build.mecha)

         Re: Johnny five IS alive - first MOC —Steve Baker
     bricksnap wrote: > Yes, treads are working, but moving is rather bumpy. Because of the construction > of the treads and the huge overall weight they easily broke up. I'm a little suprised that you chose to use just one motor for each tread. The (...) (19 years ago, 20-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Johnny five IS alive - first MOC —Bruce Hietbrink
     Hi Stefan, I've seen bits and pieces of this as you've posted them to Brickshelf, but it's great the see Johnny in all his glory. I can't wait to see this completed. I hope that eventually you're able to post movies of him in action. Bruce (19 years ago, 20-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build.mecha)

         Re: Johnny five IS alive - first MOC —Stefan Naepflin
     (...) Hi Bruce Thank you for your feedback. I'll try to make some movies and post them. Steven (19 years ago, 21-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build.mecha)

        Re: Johnny five IS alive - first MOC —Kyle Vrieze
     (...) Congratulations, this is an amazing achievement! I've been seeing "Johnny's" progress on Brickshelf from time to time. It would be cool to see this one in person, to get the full effect of the massive scale. I even picked up some good (...) (19 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build.mecha)

         Re: Johnny five IS alive - first MOC —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Compressed air can either be expensive (from the little cans) or sometimes has traces of oil in it from the compressor. What I have had good luck with are camelhair brushes. If you buy makeup brushes it is sometimes possible to get rounded (...) (19 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build.mecha)

         Re: Johnny five IS alive - first MOC —Stefan Naepflin
     (...) Thank you very mutch (...) I think so. My first prototype modules have been build using black bricks because I did not own enough greys. Then I detected Bricklink.. :-) Steven (19 years ago, 24-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build.mecha)

        Re: Johnny five IS alive - first MOC —Eric Sophie
   (...) This is wonderful! Thank you for building the Famous Robot! One year and a half!? I respect your dedication! (...) That is a great feeling. Now we can see your completed work and imagine the time and effort it must have taken you. (...) (19 years ago, 24-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build.mecha)

        Re: Johnny five IS alive - first MOC —Stefan Naepflin
   (...) Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad to hear this from you.. (...) First I built the hands as a copy from the Jama pics. So I could easily see and understand how the really works. They bending mechanism was cool but for johnnys hand it was not (...) (19 years ago, 24-Jan-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build.mecha)