 Robotics / 23319
Re: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:48:44 GMT

news-gateway@lugnet.com wrote on 01/10/2005 01:03:08 PM:

I agree with you, Rob.  That said, to start, Steve and Co. have their • little
thing goin' on, and I just wanted to point out that, within the • parameters as
layed out by them, one has toe potential to make a module that • would work both
as a straight thru as well as a 90 degree turn to the right.

I didn't think about this until lunch, but you'll note this little
yellow modules
conforms to the spec, and works very well as an 90 degree turn to
the left, and
could also turn right:

That's an excellent point.  It's obvious that modules that do not extend
beyond 32 studs can be used as right-turns.  It's just as obvious (once
Steve points it out, that is) that modules that do *not* extend into the
first 32 studs (besides the input bin, of course), and place the output
bin properly can function as left-turn modules while *still* being
in-spec.  There is nothing that says that a module must use the first 32
studs space.  It just *must* be able to place the bin there.  So move the
module out:  you're done!

Perfect.  Right turns and left turns, and we stay in-spec.  Beautiful.
And, of course, Y-modules are *already* in-spec:  they can have an in bin
and out bin according to spec.  If they choose to have a second out-bin at
some location that is not counter to the spec, if you could disable it. In
that case, you'd have a normal straight-through module.  If you want to
use it, you enable it.

And *that* is the beauty of a spec that specifies as *little* as possible.

Tim Massey