 Robotics / 23310
Re: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:35:10 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Rob Hendrix wrote:

"David Koudys" <dkoudys@redeemer.on.ca> wrote in message
news:IA3zL9.xKJ@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.robotics, "Rob Limbaugh" <RLimbaugh@greenfieldgroup.com> wrote:

<snip>

Personally, I think something similar to the moonbase concept should be
applied--an input bin with opening or edge at a given heighth and width
and placed in a specifica location on a standard footprint size, or
perhaps by allowing different categories of footprints.

In this way, anyone's module can fit to another persons and event
organizers can plan layouts for events and request the appropriate
amount of space.

- Rob

I love standards, but I also like the 'variedness' of the GBC
modules--trying to
get somethign specific hammered down, like 'only 32x32 baseplates with the
bin
in the bottom left corner' might be a little difficult.

As it is, Steve's details is the front of the bin must be within 32 studs
from
the back edge of the baseplate, to allow modules to run along a wall.

Maybe in the future Steve and Co. will get more specific, but this is a
good
start

We shall see what transpires.

Dave K

What's the big deal?  Either you can make a module to comply with simple
specs, or you can't.  If you need more space and can't fit everything inside
1 - 32x32 module, then make a multiplate module that will still make the
little toy LEGO balls go from point A to point B per the specs.  I see no
reason to bicker about where the balls come from and go when we're not
dealing with NASA building rockets or making pianos...

-Ya, I'm having a Monday...

Wow.  Mondayness for me as well.

I agree with you, Rob.  That said, to start, Steve and Co. have their little
thing goin' on, and I just wanted to point out that, within the parameters as
layed out by them, one has toe potential to make a module that would work both
as a straight thru as well as a 90 degree turn to the right.

That's all I wanted to do.

If this was an rtl event, we might further specify that modules have to be built
on a 32x32 baseplate with a 10x10 input bin in the lower left hand
corner (snivving setup rulz from Steve ;) ), or one could add 32x32 baseplates
in a line to the right from that--

XXXXXXXXXXYYYYYYYYYY
X        XY        Y
X        XY        Y
X        XY        Y
X        XY        Y
OOO      XOOO      Y
O O      XO O      Y
OOOXXXXXXXOOOYYYYYYY

Standard GBC module layout

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXYYYYYYYYYY
X        XX        XX       XY        Y
X        XX        XX       XY        Y
X        XX        XX       XY        Y
X        XX        XX       XY        Y
OOO      XX        XX       XOOO      Y
O O      XX        XX       XO O      Y
OOOXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOYYYYYYY

Extended GBC Module Layout

In this way, any module submetted would have the ability to be put in-line with
the rest, or turned 90 degrees to the right.

But this isn't an rtl event, so I'll work within the parameters as laid out by
the GBC team :)

Dave K