 Robotics / 23307
RE: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:54:45 GMT

<SNIP>

Not to oversimplify, but I mean if the 'standard' for the
ball contraption is 32 studs from the front of the hopper to
the back edge of the baseplate, and thus I personally would
probably grab a 32 x 32 stud baseplate to build on, thus the
'in' hopper would be in the bottom left hand corner anyway,
wouldn't my module, by its very nature, be able to be placed
'in line' with the other ones, or 90 degrees, placing the
hopper in the same location?

I think that making 90 degree turns (only to the right) would
be able to be done on many modules, just the way they
are--phenominal ASCII graphix below!

XXXXXXXXXXYYYYYYYYYY
X        XY        Y
X        XY        Y
X        XY        Y
X        XY        Y
OOO      XOOO      YOOO
O O      XO O      YO O
OOOXXXXXXXOOOYYYYYYYOOO

XXXXXXXXXX
X        X
X        X
X        X
X        X
OOO      XOOOYYYYYYY
O O      XO O      Y
OOOXXXXXXXOOO      Y
          Y        Y
          Y        Y
          Y        Y
          Y        Y
          YYYYYYYYYY
          OOO
          O O
          OOO

X-Module 1
Y-Module 2
O-Input/Output Bin

See, if you leave both 'outer edges' of the bin open, both
orientations work

But maybe I'm missing something.

Dave K

Personally, I think something similar to the moonbase concept should be
applied--an input bin with opening or edge at a given heighth and width
and placed in a specifica location on a standard footprint size, or
perhaps by allowing different categories of footprints.

In this way, anyone's module can fit to another persons and event
organizers can plan layouts for events and request the appropriate
amount of space.

- Rob