 Robotics / 23295

Re: The Great Ball Contraption
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 22:33:53 GMT

Steve Hassenplug wrote:

That way, you don't have to worry about too many Y's and not enough
straight pieces!  :)

Yes, that's something to consider.  It's possible everyone would create a 90 degree
left-hand turn.  Then what?  :)

I think you can handle this with a little care in the design of the
rules.

If the table you are setting it up on is deep enough to permit it,
you could always use four 90 degree pieces in a LEFT/RIGHT/RIGHT/LEFT
sequence to keep the overall pipeline going straight.  All you'd need
to do is to have the module design rules enforce more strict dimensions
on 90 degree pieces so that a LEFT/RIGHT/RIGHT/LEFT sequence wouldn't
result in a 'jog' in the line of modules - and to be sure it'll fit
the width of your tables.

That only works if you have the same number of left and right turns.

So simply write into the rules that everyone who submits a left hand
turn has to submit a corresponding right hand turn or they won't
be accepted.

Now, at *worst* you can only have one more pair of turns than you
needed - and you can always stick them at one end of the machine.

You'll need to design your table layout to have an equal number
of left and right turns too - but that should be simple enough.

Similarly, for Y pieces, you could make a rule that everyone who
submits a Y piece must also contribute a corresponding reverse-Y
to recombine the balls back into a single stream.

That guarantees that you'll never have too many Y's or reverse-Y's
and that all L's can be used...and it'll also dissuade most people
from making non-straight pieces because of the need to commit to
making two of them.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net